Sunday, April 10, 2005

Aimee's Birth (Part II)

For those just beginning this story here, Part I is right below this.

As I stepped out of the car, umbilical cord dangling with a forceps connected to the end, I plopped down into the wheelchair and heard applause. Looking up, I saw a man on a balcony across the parking lot and he was hooting and clapping. "What was it?!" The nurse and I in unison - "a girl!" Woo hoo!! I started laughing at the absurdity of having a baby in the car. I had no concept of the mileage it would have over the years. I teach my students and clients that if they have a baby in the car to not be worried at all... that it is the coolest birth story forever.

The teeny nurse started pushing the wheelchair towards the ramp that led to L&D, but right off the street/asphalt part, before the ramp, there is a 1/4 inch step-up and the chick hit it... hard. I was knocked out of the wheelchair and stood there laughing, umbilical cord tick tocking between my legs, the clamp brushing my calf. I told her I could walk up the ramp perfectly fine, but she insisted I sit, so I did. I couldn't wait to see this.

As she pushed me up the ramp, she was nearly horizontal. I just laughed at the situation and swear she put oxygen on her face when she dumped me into L&D's hands.

I was wheeled through L&D, past the Newborn Nursery where Aimee was in the warmer and right into the Delivery Room. I hollered for them to bring me Aimee as I flew past the Nursery and they said she would meet me in Recovery.

Spouse tells me that when he went into the Nursery (he went in when the gang left me in the car - per my instructions), they grabbed my birth plan and the Nursery staff stood next to her in the warmer, ticking off what they were not to do. Bath? Nope. Erythromycin? Nope. Vit K? Later. etc. They were lost. And I loved hearing that.

In the Delivery Room (and for those confused about all these separate rooms, it was like that - a separate place to labor, usually a room for two women, separated by a curtain; a Delivery Room that doubled as an OR; a Recovery Room where women spent about 2 hours postpartum... until they peed, usually; and then the Postpartum floor where they stayed 3-4 days for a vaginal birth and 6-8 days for a cesarean), I sat alone in the wheelchair. I felt the placenta let go and started a great contraction. I hollered that the placenta was coming. No one heard but the echoing walls of the DR. I stood up and out plopped the placenta, right into the seat of the wheelchair. I stood there and yelled, "Placenta's here!" and Mark came running back in saying something about, "Can't I please give you a shot of pitocin?" blah blah "precip" blah and I said, "Nope" and reached under my dress and did some self-nipple stimulation. I barely had any bleeding. I didn't think to tell him that I'd been in labor for quite some time, I just didn't come in. I did not precip.

Mary Carol, my CNM, had said she would come in for me even if I had the baby not on her shift. However, when I delivered in the car and they called her, she laughed and said she'd see me in 3 days instead.

I was put into yet another wheelchair and moved to the Recovery Room and met spouse who had Aimee in his arms. I jumped into bed and touched my daughter for the first time on the outside. An overhead warmer was put over both of us and we were toasty within moments. I don't see these warmers anymore, either. All I see are the warmers attached to the isolettes in birthing rooms. Those overhead warmers were the best for keeping moms and babes together when a baby was slightly chilled or having some breathing issues.

I unwrapped her to look at her. My friend Kathy got there and we told her the story, laughing the whole time. Aimee had a brown spot on her left knee and I asked the nurse if it was a birthmark. She asked me what I thought it was... and I said, "I dunno, dirt?" and she laughed asking if I dropped her on the ground out there. Nope. Beautiful brow birthmark she carries on her upper knee to this day. I never see it without thinking of her amazing birth.

We nursed great and things were so fabulous, the neonatologist on said we could go after 4 hours postpartum. Then he came in at 3 hours and said that if she got the Vit K, we could go. Do it!

I was home 3 hours and 10 minutes after leaving.

Spouse went and got the kids while I called Heide, the German midwife, who came rushing over. When the kids were there, Heide checked Aimee from head to toe and chided me for not calling her when I was about to deliver. Confused, I said, "I thought you couldn't keep me as a client?!" and she said if I'd have called, she would have come. Dang.

So many other things to share. I had a really hard time nursing Aimee; she sucked on her lower lip and it wasn't discovered for over 2 weeks. I tandem nursed and that was really difficult for me, but I made it.

Besides the beauty of having another child, when Aimee was 2 days old, I went to a La Leche League meeting and met Sarah, the love of my life. Sarah'd heard about my cool birth, my fabulous birth plan, and came to the LLL meeting especially to meet me. It was there I met another woman who watched Aimee be born and told me the story from the inside of the hospital. I loved being able to have the story from several locations! I was with my baby girl.

I still laugh... am smiling writing this... it was such a great story to live. And even more fun to tell!

2 comments:

lafammedesfemmes said...

Hi,

I just found your blog via Midwifery Today, and I wanted to compliment you on your vivid and totally engrossing stories! You are a wonderful writer, and I am so glad that you have decided to archive your stories here. I've only read the first few, but I look forward to reading the rest.

All the best,
Julia Allen
Winnipeg, Canada

Navelgazing Midwife said...

Thank you, Julia! I scanned through your visit to Mexico and was equally horrified and intrigued. I can't wait to have time to read it well.

I have another blog, too, in case you are interested - Navelgazing Midwife (http://www.observantmidwife.blogspot.com).

You all need to write more! What are you doing now?